Re: seniors in mixed aged cohousing
From: RowenaHC (RowenaHCcs.com)
Date: Sat, 1 Jan 2000 09:14:12 -0700 (MST)
We have quite a large number or over-sixties in Cambridge Coho - although
nothing like one-third!   For the most part the older residents are solid
participants in work days of all kinds.  Our most serious gardeners are in
that age range, we also do our share of trash removal, security checks,
cleaning and so on.  We have one couple who are eightyish who continue to
participate in such things as meal preparation and on "heavy work" days
participate by doing what light tasks they can, providing snacks and drinks,
and keeping an eye on some of the wandering kids!   One good thing about
having  older retired residents is that they are around the place a lot and
can help with baby sitting, supervising workmen, taking care of emergencies,
and so on!

My advice is to encourage us to keep doing whatever we can, even if it takes
a bit longer.  And don't get too hung up on trying to make things "fair."

Rowena
Cambridge Coho