Re: Cohousing ,Class distinctions and banks
From: Catherine Harper (tylikeskimo.com)
Date: Sun, 9 Jan 2000 11:31:29 -0700 (MST)
On Sun, 9 Jan 2000, Rob Sandelin wrote:

> Some cohousing communities, such as the one I live in, have rental
> spaces, but the rentals exist and are controlled by the home owners.

I was just reading about the...  Danish, I think, community that consisted
of half goverment subsidized rental units and half owned units.  I keep on
hearing about groups in this country that are trying for something along
those lines, but less about ones that succeed.  Shall I assume that the
outcomes are not for the most part encouraging?

What are the dynamics around member owned rental units?  (Okay, my mom has
one, and it's never seemed to get weird to me...  but I haven't had a
chance to observe this on a larger scale, or on a day to day basis.)  In
our potential, pie in the sky sort of cohousing group, there is a lot of
economic diversity, including enough quite affluent members and
comparatively broke members that the former would pretty much have to be
providing the upfront development costs for the latter, and there's been a
lot of discussion of rental units.

> I know several places looking for members in NW that are not cohousing,
> and need energy.

Pointers?

                                Catherine