Re: Gardening Questions too!
From: RowenaHC (RowenaHCcs.com)
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2000 13:24:38 -0700 (MST)
Well, we've only had one full year so far and we're still working on a system
but here are some things we've tried and learned.  I'll also pass along some
wisdom I gathered from Pioneer Valley, who are much further along than we are
but don't seem to participate much in this list. (I'm mostly talking aobut
veggie/cutting gardening here but the same thing pretty much applies to the
rest of the landscaping.)

We have a common garden - anyone can pick the produce.  The work is done by
those who love to get their hands dirty, enjoy growing food/flowers and love
to see others picking and eating it!   There are a couple of people who can't
stand the idea of people picking stuff without working and they have got
themselves private lots in the Cambridge Community gardens which are a few
blocks away!    However, it is always considered the decent thing to do to
ask before picking special treats or the first fruit of the season!

The garden is, more or less, divided into raised beds about 12 foot long by 4
feet wide.  Last year (and what there was of the year before) we tried having
individuals act as "stewards" for particular crops and/or raised beds.
However, we found that didn't work too well.  Some folk just weren't around
enough to take care of a crop but because the bed "belonged" to them, others
were reluctant to take charge.   The result was some overgrown weedy beds and
unstaked plants flopping around.  This year, based on the Pioneer Valley
model we are going to recruit those who are willing to put in some regular
time as a garden team to oversee the whole garden.  People who just want to
work once in a while will be welcome to do so, of course, especially at those
times when extra hands are needed. In Amherst they found that having a small
"affinity" team meant that there were few communication problems - if the
gardeners didn't meet in the morning or evening they could still figure out
just what needed to be done at any given time.

Another thing we hope to copy from Pioneer Valley are semi-permanent signs
identifying the crop, with hooks underneath which allow for helpful notes
such as: Don't pick this yet; Pick at will; Pick for community meals only,
etc.   We found some people were uncertain about when or how to pick produce
- we didn't all grow up with our hands in the dirt!  We are asking the
shop-denizens to work on this project for us.

In my experience, people who love to dig and weed will happily do it if they
are given enough strokes!    Those who want to help can wander by on a warm
evening and offer to water or to hold up one end of a trellis, or just admire
the stuff.  And please pick and eat it!  The one thing that gets the
gardeners most upset is for a neighbor to stand by the garden and say:
"Someone ought to weed/water/stake/mulch those plants!"   GRRRR..... Our
neighbors on the street also stop to admire the crops and we pass out samples
to the local kids - a good way to improve neighborly relations!

If the gardeners aren't having fun, you won't have a garden!

Rowena
CambridgeCoho