RE: Funding sources for low/moderate income families
From: Rob Sandelin (floriferousemail.msn.com)
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2000 07:46:37 -0700 (MST)
Two years ago I did a contract project and located all the affordable
housing grant programs public and private in WA. I can't give the info as it
was on a contract, and it would not be useful after two years, but I can
share the methodology I used. Each states programs are unique anyway.

Sources of information: Find out who does affordable housing. You can get a
list of who received block grants last year from your local state housing
authority. Often a search in the large city newspapers (library net stuff)
can drum up names as they are usually in the paper. Most of them are
non-profits. Contact them and find a connection or two, take them to lunch
and pick their brains. They will have lists of connections and people.
Connections are what these people are all about. Remember there are state,
county, city and other governments which all do affordable work. A bit of
work can come up with the right names. In WA, two years ago, most all were
already on the net.

Do some calling around, contacting the government agencies and your list
will grow. Then contact the 10 largest banks that do business in your area
and see what private programs they fund. Contact these, many private
programs have a staff member assigned. Get their lists of projects and
contact the projects themselves. Many of these can use multiple sources and
by cross checking them you may find some new ones you haven't heard about.

There are also national grant programs that fund local efforts and you will
probably run into most of them by talking to the nonprofits.

 In all, two years ago,I spent 40 hours on the web and phone, 5 hours of
library work, 15 hours talking with people in person and located 124
programs that were in place in WA state. I am sure a large state, such as CA
has way more than that.

Rob Sandelin
Northwest Intentional Communties Association