Re: Cohousing ,Class distinctions and banks
From: Raines Cohen (coho-Lraines.com)
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2000 11:20:44 -0700 (MST)
Catherine Harper <tylik [at] eskimo.com> wrote on 1/10/00 9:13 AM:

>> Some cohousing communities, such as the one I live in, have rental
>> spaces, but the rentals exist and are controlled by the home owners.
>
>I was just reading about the...  Danish, I think, community that consisted
>of half goverment subsidized rental units and half owned units.  I keep on
>hearing about groups in this country that are trying for something along
>those lines, but less about ones that succeed.  Shall I assume that the
>outcomes are not for the most part encouraging?

Note that the list is dominated by groups of all types that are trying to
do things, in the early stage...  most groups that are later in the
development process are so focussed/overwhelmed/exhausted that they tend
not to post as much, and those that are moved in (i.e. have succeeded)
don't care as much, have to deal with daily community life, etc. So keep
in mind that what you see here is not a fully representative sample of
what's out there, in progress and done.

Old Oakland CoHousing is part of a project (Swan's Market) that includes
subsidized rentals, but for a variety of legal, financial and
complexity-management reasons the rental units are not technically part
of the CoHousing project. But we were able, despite value engineering, to
preserve some elements that encourage interaction and shared space
(effectively, a common backyard after hours) in this tight-packed urban
environment. And we do intend to get to know our neighbors well enough to
invite some to join some common meals or perhaps an affiliate/associate
sort of membership.

Raines

Raines Cohen <coho-L [at] raines.com> <http://www.swansway.com/>
Recovering from Macworld Expo this week.

  Member, Old Oakland [CA] Cohousing at Swan's Market
Where we've got rates locked and are finalizing mortgage-loan details.

  and Member, East Bay Cohousing [no site yet] <http://www.ebcoho.org/>
Which approved a budget without a TCN membership - can people help me
convince 'em to join?