Re: Common House costs
From: Berrins (Berrinsaol.com)
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2000 21:12:09 -0700 (MST)
In a message dated 1/13/2000 6:31:19 PM, fholson [at] cohousing.org writes:

<< Our cohousing community, Solterra, is located in Durham, NC.  We will have
40
lots on 20 acres, and are about 50% occupied or under construction at this
time.  We are now making a concerted effort to arrive at a design and budget
for our Common House.

We need your help with respect to our Common House, and would greatly
appreciate comments and answers to the following questions:

1. How many sq.ft. does your Common House have?
2. What did (or will) it cost?
3. How many families are in your community?
4. Would you be willing to share your Common House design with us?

We are currently meeting virtually around the clock to zero in on our Common
House design, and would greatly appreciate your responses.

Thanks,

Gordon Lambert >>

Sounds like you are at a similar stage, although different.  Here's some info
about where we are at with the Pathways Common House; hope it helps.

1. How many sq.ft. does your Common House have?
A present, 3100 square feet on the first floor, with a full basement that we
intend to build out later.  We have already "programmed out" what we want to
have in the basement.  The second floor has taken a hit in the later stages
(more on this later) and may or may not have a mezzanine, which would be
about 1/3 the size of the Great Room (aka the dining room).  We may also be
able to put some storage on the second floor.   Due to city code, any other
use of the second floor would require an elevator (about $50,000!  -ouch) for
handicap access.

2. What did (or will) it cost?
    There's some lessons here somewhere, so please bear with me...
The original budget, way back when, estimated $300,000, or about $100/square
foot (the origninal idea was to have a 3,000 square foot Common House).
Several things pushed the cost WAY up.  Here's a few:
    A) The builder and architects hadn't consulted with our city inspector
when the original guesstimated budget was made.  Apparently every city has
its own codes, and some cities are more strict than others.  Our only model
at that time was Pioneer Cohousing in nearby Amherst, whose codes are a lot
less strict.  In Northampton, the inspector decided that we had to build the
Common House to commercial standards, which calls for much greater load
bearing ability, cast iron plumbing ($$) and other features to meet
commercial codes.  Lesson?  Make sure your builder and architect know your
city codes BEFORE they budget and start design work.
    B) In order to avoid putting in an elevator, and to make the rooms easier
to use, we put all of what we think will be our most-used rooms on the first
floor, using up all 3,000 square feet.  This created a bigger footprint for
the building, which is more expensive.  We still have to put in a lift to use
the basement (access codes again, not to mention that it's just the right
thing to do), but a lift is a lot cheaper than an elevator (about $20,000 vs
$50,000).
    C)  A cathedral ceiling is more expensive per square foot than a regular,
flat ceiling and our Great Room design calls for for one.
    That's three budget busters that I can think of.  There were many other
smaller, more expensive options that went in during the initial design phase.
 SO, after we blithely went through the first design process with the
architect, and after the builder and architect found out about the codes, the
builder came up with a cost of... about $450,000!!  After the shock subsided,
the design team went back to the mats and chopped, chopped, chopped.  Without
changing our basic program (the "program" being  the rooms/activites you want
and where they are in relation to each other), and after several tense
general meetings, we got the cost down to about $370,000.  Lesson?  It's
gonna cost more than you think...

3. How many families are in your community?
    24 households on about 40 acres.  There are 38 adults and about 32
children.  There are also 3 lots that the builder is selling next to ours,
and those are being bought by families from our waiting list.  That
potentially adds 5 more adults and 4 more children using our Common House.

4. Would you be willing to share your Common House design with us?
    I would, but I don't know if the architect will allow us to send the
plans.  However, I can attempt to describe it.  (One of the architects, by
the way, is Mary Kraus, who lives at Pioneer Cohousing In Amherst and had
done talks around the country on cohousing. I will email you privately with
her email address, in case you want to ask her directly.  The other architect
is Laura Fitch of Margo Jones and Associates, who also lives at Pioneer).
    Here's the layout: Picture a large, horizontally oriented rectangle. The
main entry way is slightly to the right of midline as you face the building,
with the children's room on the left (in the center of the front of the
building) and living room on the right front.  The two guest rooms and two
bathrooms are in the back right (across a hall from the living room), the
kitchen in center back across from the children's room, and the great room on
the far left, down the hall and to the left of the kitchen and children's
room.
    The biggest discussion in the program phase was whether to put the
children's room or the living room next to the great room.  The children's
room proponents were able to convince the rest, but we'll miss being able to
seat more people for dinner by using the living room (had it been next to the
great room).  That said, we will essentially have a noisy side (great room,
children's room and kitchen) and a quieter side (living and guest rooms).
    Another discussion was whether or not to have laundry facilities on the
first floor.  We tried to design them on the first floor, but there just
wasn't enough room. That, and a large storage space (near the great room, for
folding tables and chairs), separate library and much larger pantry are other
spaces I wish we could have designed in.  Meanwhile, we did design for the
ability to expand behind the great room and the guest rooms, just in case.

With 40 families, you will likely have a bigger common house and may be able
to get more types of spaces on the first floor.   As you go through the
design phase, be sure to constantly ask the architects if the dream they have
on paper is an expensive one.  They won't be able to give you any figures,
but if it looks nice, it probably costs extra.  And finally, be prepared to
have that cut back discussion.

    Good luck!

        Roger Berman
        Pathways Cohousing (in construction, first move-ins in about two
weeks!!)
        Northampton, MA