Re: Common House costs
From: PattyMara (PattyMaraaol.com)
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2000 10:52:09 -0700 (MST)
Dear Roger and List,
Thanks for your recent post, Roger about your common house design.   Seminal
information for those in the planning stages.  At Tierra Nueva (central CA
coast) we've been moved in for over a year now...and our common house has
most of the features your described in your plan.  I have a suggestion for
you about your mezzanine which we wished we would have done, but only
hindsight gave us the clue.  Our great room/dining room is overlooked by the
mezzanine and has a tall cathedral ceiling. The half wall of the mezzanine is
solid, with a wide sill/mantle.  Being solid,  the half wall does 2
unfortunate things:  it helps bounce sound around in an already treacherous
acoustic environment and it visually cuts off the two spaces.

When we sit around and dream about what we can do to improve our miserable
sound quality in the dining room (by the way, what have you folks done about
mitigating sound?  Think about it now, because it will be a huge problem if
unaddressed)  we wish we could tear out the solid wall and replace it with a
wooden railing.  The sound wouldn't bounce and there would be a continuum of
sight, connecting those on the balcony (which we use for overflow dining)
with those on the main floor.  It would provide more line of sight comfort
for the parents watching kids too...our game room and video/tv room is
upstairs and the kids love going up alone.  Some parents are uncomfortable
with that solid wall barrier.

I believe the solid wall is a bad design feature, and limits the use of our
mezzanine. Consequently, the mezzanine is rarely used to its potential.  When
we're feeling flush we may tear the wall out and replace it with a beautiful
wooden railing crafted in our yet-to-be-built wood/metal/craft workshop.

Good luck on your common house...and thanks for the reminder about the gap
between what architects/builders plan and what planning departments and
city/county codes require.  There are trolls under the bridges.

warmly,
Patty Mara Gourley
Tierra Nueva, California