Re: Cutting boards and vegetarians
From: Stuart Staniford-Chen (stuartsilicondefense.com)
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2000 16:17:40 -0700 (MST)
Thanks so much for posting these numbers Kay.  It's really helpful.

After looking at them, it seems that this is a smallish but not
completely negligible risk - worth exhorting people to do the right
thing, but not worth forcing everyone to get a certificate (which would
be pretty damn hard to make everyone do at most cohousing communities, I
suspect).

Looks like risk of death by food poisoning is about one tenth of that
due to car accidents, and comparable to that of burning to death in a
fire, but, as Kay notes, 25 times worse than dying in a bolt of
lightning.

Risk of getting sick is much higher, but the numbers seem very
uncertain, and it's not clear how sick you have to be before becoming "a
case".  Some of that risk of food poisoning will not be under the
control of the cooks.

An interesting question is whether cohousing meals are more or less
risky than home-cooked meals and restaurant meals.  My guess is that
it's generally a lower risk meal, because cooks are more likely to buy
food the same day or the previous day, cook everything all at once and
serve it right away.  I don't recall anyone ever getting sick in about
seven or eight years now of eating community dinner pretty regularly at
two different cohousing communities.  I've been sick a couple of times
after restaurant meals.

Stuart
Marsh Commons Cohousing, Arcata, CA.

(Who was recently glad to be vegetarian while staying with a family
member who left a cooked chicken out on the counter for 36 hours before
serving it to her family.)

--
Stuart Staniford-Chen --- President --- Silicon Defense
                   stuart [at] silicondefense.com