Through the looking glasses?
From: Unnat (Zeniinet.net.au)
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2000 17:45:56 -0700 (MST)
hey!  I would love to hear some 'living in community' stories from you
all, even those who aren't in your houses yet.  Moments of magic, feuds
fueled, crisis resolved - anything real.  Maybe I blinked, but I don't
even recall anything on the list over the holiday period.

At Pinakarri:

How easily we can dive into our pain - the need for a tenant in one of
the newly finished houses has divided the community.  There are all
sorts of assumptions flying about - it's like a snowball fight.  After
having caught a couple in the back of the head I've started ducking.
Good people doing dumb things.  How does this happen?

We had a wonderful carol singing on the summer solstice (southern
hemisphere) - a shared picnic on the commons with family and friends,
fairy lights and candles in paper bags perched high on poles.  The
impromtu two piece orchestra did a sterling job of leading the singing;
two children (I still don't know who they were!) heralded the night on
their trumpets, Gabrielle nervously played her accordian and the girls
got up and sang a jaunty Noel.  The boys tended to thunder around after
each other, apparently oblivious to the magic, but I thought, even for
them, what a background.  One friend moved into her house that hot, hot
day - too exhausted to participate - but welcomed by the sound of her
community singing.

(Oh Patty)  In the corn spiral on the verge, I can now sit on the chunk
of limestone in the middle and pretend that I'm in Kansas!

Warmly, in every way
Robyn Williams
Pinakarri Community
Fremantle, Western Australia