Food handling
From: Rob Sandelin (floriferousemail.msn.com)
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2000 08:04:40 -0700 (MST)
The food handlers permit in my state is a 3 hour class, which basically just
walks you through the booklet that the state has created. I highly recommend
your kitchen manager person at least do this training, and that you get a
copy of the food safety booklet to pass around. Its all very basic stuff,
and anybody with a 7th grade reading level can comprehend the material.

 There was a widely advertised test, where investigators went out and bought
chicken from a wide variety of stores, took it to a lab and tested it for
bacteria. Something like 90% of all chicken they found, and this was fresh
from the markets and properly chilled, had salomella.

It takes less than an hour to read the food handlers book. I don't think
that is too much to ask of people. We have two nurses and a doctor in our
group and they tend to be kind of in your face about this kind of stuff, and
I am glad they are.

Rob Sandelin
Northwest Intentional Communties Association