|Re: bleach and ammonia (was Re: Cutting boards and vegetarians)||<– Date –> <– Thread –>|
|From: Fred H. Olson (fholsoncohousing.org)|
|Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2000 08:25:42 -0700 (MST)|
Helen in Toronto hcohen [at] moonland.com is the author of the message below but due to a problem it was posted by the Fred the list manager: fholson@cohousing org To get off cohousing-L, send email with UNSUBSCRIBE COHOUSING-L in the msg body to: listproc [at] cohousing.org Questions? email Fred - addr above -------------------- FORWARDED MESSAGE FOLLOWS -------------------- [Howard Landman <howard [at] poly.polyamory.org> on Jan 20 wrote: ] > On the other hand, I don't know if any bacteria can survive old-fashioned > bleach or ammonia. >They shouldn't be able to if they actually contact it. That's exactly right -- if they contact it! Just think about other deadly antibacterial weapons: high temperature (boiling water / vapor ), alcohol, radiation, etc. Sprinkling boiling water on a countertop filled with microorganisms sure will kill some, but not many. It takes at least ten minutes of boiling to get baby bottles clean -- not sterilized, just clean enough. I still remember my mother boiling her syringes for hours before giving me a needle. And you have to rub your skin with alcohol many times to get at least some of them out. Sophisticated machines are build to sterilize surgical & dental equipment: high pressures, high temperatures, deadly radiation -- and still some viral spores survive. It takes a long time of boiling to kill most of the worms in your fish soup -- that?s why you can't taste it as it cooks! Have you ever seen a surgeon rub his hands with soap and brushes? They do it for a long time -- only to put sterilized gloves on top. Given these facts, how much good do you think it would do your counter tops to wash them quickly with a very diluted bleach? The only thing it does is makes you feel better. How about doing a test? wash it with this solution then ask someone from a lab to test the surface. While they are there, ask them how they clean their counters.Then do the same after a really good scrub with a soap? See which is better. (Not all sponges harbor bacteria, btw, some of them dry very fast and you should change them frequently). Yes, soap, an ordinary soap! Do you know what it does? Soap and water are really all we need to clean our kitchens and homes. Water will wash away all the dirt that is water-soluble (even the most virulent germs caught in your eye) and soap?s lather would turn all that water-resistant dirt-harboring grease (hydrophobic) into a water-soluble substance (hydrophilic) and it, too, would be washed or rubbed away. All we have to do is make sure cooks wash their hands really well and dry them well with a *clean* dry towel (there should always be plenty of dry clean towels around). NB, apparently, if you dilute a liquid soap a bit (people do that to save money) ? it will produce an excellent bacterial breeding medium and so will solid soap placed in a wet soap dish. I think it is also important to remember that, no matter how harmless the substance can be when it eventually breaks down, we (and our kids) INHAIL everything that is being either sprayed or poured over an open surface ? one of the major reasons asthma rates are raising with a dizzying speed today. If you can smell it ? you?d inhaled it and you will eventually ingest some of it too ? and so will those fish with tumours in our lakes. I am not sure, but I think chlorine vapour can damage lungs too. And I wonder if inhaled ammonia would do some damage too (to surfactants, perhaps?) Helen Toronto
bleach and ammonia (was Re: Cutting boards and vegetarians) Howard Landman, January 20 2000
- Re: bleach and ammonia (was Re: Cutting boards and vegetarians) Fred H. Olson, January 21 2000
- Re: bleach and ammonia (was Re: Cutting boards and vegetarians) administration, January 21 2000
Results generated by Tiger Technologies Web hosting using MHonArc.