Re: Common House Laundry Facilities
From: PattyMara (PattyMaraaol.com)
Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2000 23:56:07 -0700 (MST)
In a message dated 2/26/00 5:49:38 PM !!!First Boot!!!, tgowers [at] jps.net
writes:

<<
 1) Did your group purchase, rent, or lease laundry machines for the
 Common House? How were these financed (i.e. coin-op, membership dues)?

At Tierra Nueva Coho, Cen. CA Coast, we are using donated machines from
households who opted not to have them in their homes, or upgraded.  We talked
about leasing coin op machines at one point but these became available and we
opted to use them.  We don't collect any money for the utilities that the
laundry room uses (gas and electricity).  Homeowners Dues covers the utility
costs even though half of the households use their own machines in their
homes.

 2) Are your machines front or top loading and why?

top loading because that's what was available.

 3) How many machines were provided in the common house per how many
 households in the community? >>

For 27 households, half of which use their own machines in their homes, we
have 2 washers and 1 dryer.  For the first 6 months or so we operated on
first come first serve basis.  Then we decided to try a laundry schedule
which is working great.  It gives everyone a 4 hour block of time per week
for exclusive use of both washers and the dryer.  Plus some unscheduled free
time in the afternoons and evenings when anyone can use the machines, first
come first serve.  We are able to get by with one dryer because we live in a
place with lots of sun, and we have 4 clothesline areas throughout the site.

Our laundry room is directly off the kitchen, first floor, next to the
service porch.  It is a place where lots of interaction occurs.  We made
reusable signs that say "Put in dryer" or "Don't put in dryer"  or "Washer
available" or "Next for dryer".  This helps keep the flow of clothes moving.

We've created a policy that a laundry basket with your name on it sits on top
of the washer in use, so that your clothes can be put in it when the load is
finished (and put in dryer if indicated).  Same for the dryer.  More often
than not, I've come back to the laundry room and found my clothes folded in
my basket after someone took them out of the dryer, and I gladly reciprocate
when I go to use a dryer full of someone else's clothes.  It is an intimate
and anonymous gesture that feels good to do.

We also have a  deep laundry sink  in the room and I find that it is a handy
thing to have.   I've used it for hand washing sandy beach towels, rinsing
out mops and compost buckets etc.  I've also seen it used for a quick bath
for a muddy toddler or two.

Remember to design in lots of cabinet or shelf space for people's laundry
soaps, pre-wash, bleaches,  fabric softeners etc.  We also store a big bucket
of laundry detergent for common house linens and towels as well as all the
cleaning supplies for the common house, light bulb storage, tools. etc.

Probably more information than you need at this time,
Patty Mara Gourley
Tierra Nueva, Cen CA coast.