Re: House Blessings (something from everyone)
From: Lynn Nadeau (welcomeolympus.net)
Date: Wed, 8 Mar 2000 14:24:09 -0700 (MST)
In an actual house, one thing you can do is --if the walls aren't closed
in yet-- have people write wishes inside the walls.

One way to help the transition to a new "home" in the larger sense is to
build the sense that everyone together is making a new community. I go to
a women's retreat that does a wonderful "earth weaving" ceremony, and I
see how it could be part of creating a community garden, common house, or
such.

Everyone brings a handful of soil -- or whatever--- from a place
important to them, like where they grew up, or used to live or garden,
and adds it to a cermonial pot, where it is all mixed. In this case, at
the end of the weekend, anyone who wants can take a bit of the mixture
home. As each person adds their contribution, they can share about it if
they like.

We could do something like this, and leave the mixture in a special
place-- ground breaking, or community garden, or under a special tree or
bush. Another possibility is visible contributions, like things to be
embedded in a concrete fireplace or garden wall or such--- again with the
net effect of the parts adding up to something new.

Lynn Nadeau
RoseWind Cohousing
Port Townsend WA
(where our mosaic garden shed includes inlaid bits from many of us)