Defining "the cohousing principle"
From: Anthony Cooke (anthonycooke.co.nz)
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2000 22:08:52 -0700 (MST)

------=_NextPart_000_0013_01BF967D.DD3B6980

Hi folks

Ed Lantz said:
"I am told that the cohousing principle is in conflict with any sort of =
business operation (comments, please)."

I'm a long time cohousing wannabe, and silent sitter on this list.

I'm interested in what is "allowed" under the umbrella of cohousing, and =
who defines what is acceptable and what is not.

This idea that incorporating a business into a cohousing community - at =
the level of a community initiative, rather than an individual's or =
individuals' business(es) - means that the community is by definition =
something different to cohousing, puzzles me slightly.  I think it goes =
back to the articulation of cohousing by the likes of Katy and Chuck in =
their book.  I think I understand some of the reason for suggesting that =
community businesses by definition make a community outside 'cohousing'. =
 It serves, for example, to distinguish cohousing from communes, and =
therefore to make cohousing more like mainstream suburban housing, and =
therefore more acceptable, and therefore more marketable.

Here's a challenge.  Another of the original ideas articulated about =
cohousing was that resident participation in design was one of its =
defining characteristics.  I say rubbish.  The concept that one has to =
participate in the designing and development of one's house and =
neighbourhood, is one of the limitations of 'cohousing' as currently =
defined.

Until developer-led cohousing is the norm, cohousing is going to remain =
a fringe, upper-middle class, white activity.

Surely cohousing is really about:
    a.. designing community for neighbourliness
    b.. enhanced resident interaction
    c.. an intention to live in community
    d.. ongoing resident management
    e.. the presence of a common house/facility
    f.. the possibility of shared meals, and
    g.. private ownership of one's house.
It is not about:
    a.. resident participation in design
    b.. resident participation as developers
We know how to design neighbourhoods to foster community now.  We don't =
need resident participation in design.  Further, the idea that future =
tenants have to be involved in design, must act as a huge disincentive =
for regular developers to look at cohousing.  This in term means that =
would be cohousers have to act as their own developers, which thereby =
limits enormously the numbers who can become involved.

We need to throw away the idea of the future owners/renters of cohousing =
communities having to be their own designers, and therefore, developers. =
 These myths are a huge millstone around the neck of cohousing as a =
movement.

If we were able to do so (dispense with this millstone), then cohousing =
would be even closer to the mainstream, even more marketable, and then I =
might have a chance of living in cohousing!

Yours (somewhat provocatively)

Anthony Cooke
Pukekohe
New Zealand

.. where it's a gloriously balmy autumn day, and the Aussie cricketers =
seem to be yet again posting a large score against the Black Caps =
(that's our national cricket team)

.. and where, although I don't live in cohousing, the house rings to =
the voice of neighbourhood children