Re: Defining "the cohousing principle"
From: Dave Busse (dsbussehotmail.com)
Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2000 12:28:34 -0700 (MST)
Anthony Cooke wrote:

"We know how to design neighbourhoods to foster community now.  We don't
need resident participation in design.  ...

"We need to throw away the idea of the future owners/renters of cohousing
communities having to be their own designers, and therefore, developers.
These myths are a huge millstone around the neck of cohousing as a movement.

May I propose:

Those of use who choose cohousing as a way to push back against the
alienating influences of our host culture are not the types to let other
people control our destiny. Our personal and collective "mythologies"
declare that (1) there is a better way and (2) we have the power to make
positive change. It's in our blood to take care of ourselves, those who
share our vision, and those to whom we are morally committed. We don't
relinquish that responsibility easily.

On the other hand, all of us know the stories of cohousing groups that
manage to create their own Sisyphean legends out of the development process.
You are right, we make our own problems by attempting to do what we don't
have the expertise to do or by micro-managing details that probably make
little difference to our actual quality of life. In the last two weeks I
have talked to two acquaintances who once were involved in a cohousing
group. They express mild interest in what we are doing, but it is clear that
the two years that they spent in a cohousing group that didn't reach
fruition left them burned out. They are pursuing housing alternatives that
are more traditional but less expensive, emotionally.

Still, our collective and individual stories affirm this: we can be creators
of "goodness." We are not merely discoverers or consumers of a better way.
We are creators. We have control. We demand control.

There must be a middle ground, where we knowingly and intentionally
relinquish control where we lack expertise or where we risk reinventing the
wheel, and focus our efforts on the aspects of the design that are unique to
our location and our group's raison d'etre. This means that we have to be
fully aware of our propensity for control and don't disguise it as one of
our cohousing virtues, that we confront our own ignorance, and a whole lot
more. This also means that we have professionals who are sympathetic to our
need for control, and are willing to provide that where it really matters.

It's a middle ground that won't be easy to find. And I may have to eat my
words. We (Equinox Cohousing Group) are just beginning the land search
process. But we have professionals who will support us, so I am hopeful.

I sincerely hope that I won't have to choose between being on time/budget or
being a co-creator with the other members of the group. I would like to have
both.

Dave Busse
Equinox Cohousing Group
Eastside Seattle, WA, USA