Re: innovative stuff
From: MartyR707 (MartyR707aol.com)
Date: Sun, 9 Apr 2000 20:56:28 -0600 (MDT)
In a message dated 4/9/00 4:22:24 PM, vbradova [at] bestweb.net writes:

<< I am wondering what the experience currently is with innovative stuff. What
are the latest innovations communities are trying out? How affordable and
successful
are the various novel things? I tend to jump on the bandwagon of newfangled
stuff only to find out that it has not been sufficiently tested or proven
practical.>>

the most innovative thing we did I think was to install radiant heat in
exposed concrete floors.  It is somewhat expensive to do, and surprisingly
expensive to use, but it is wonderful!!  Silent, dust free, even heat.  And
the concrete floors are great for keeping clean, etc.

We had a lot of other things that we wanted to do - we initially wanted to do
everything sustainably, but it was so danged expensive to do it "right", that
we had to give  up on most things - like sustainably grown wood, non-toxic
paints and materials, solid wood cabinets and shelves rather than
folmaldehyde, glued stuff.
The expert on this is Tom Lent at Berkeley Coho - I don't know if he has a
connection to this list?

It really seems a crime that it costs more to do things the environmental way.

anyway, we love the radiant heat.

Marty Roberts
Two Acre Wood, Sebastopol, CA