Re: Age Diversity in Groups
From: RowenaHC (RowenaHCcs.com)
Date: Sat, 6 May 2000 04:45:32 -0600 (MDT)

Early in Cambridge Coho's life, about the time we were asking people to make
the first significant down payment, we had one family that made a condition
of its membership that we commit to getting at least 15 families with
children under 15, out of a total of 41 units.   Like most urban groups, we
were overwhelmed with applications from singles and empty nesters.  We agreed
that we would return their money if we didn't meet that number and with the
assistance of that family we engaged in outreach to attract young families -
going to places like nursery and other schools as well as talking to people
directly and assigning a "buddy" to follow up on any contacts from the right
demographics.   We also committed to professional child-care during meetings
and so on.   Well, we made it.   But I think it will continue to be a
challenge in the city to maintain the numbers.

Rowena