Re: Frustration
From: Fred H. Olson (fholsoncohousing.org)
Date: Mon, 8 May 2000 18:56:33 -0600 (MDT)
Albert  albert [at] smallco.net
is the author of the message below but due to a problem
(posted from address other than subscribed address),
it was posted by Fred the Cohousing-L list manager:  fholson [at] cohousing.org

To get off Cohousing-L, send email with UNSUBSCRIBE COHOUSING-L in the
msg body to:  listproc [at] cohousing.org   Questions? email Fred - addr above

Jose Marquez wrote:

>I believe that we each have to do our part....but we do ALL have to do our
>part and that doesn't seem to be happening!  I hope that cohousing can be a
>force for increasing unity of purpose for our species....for without unity
>we will destroy our planet Earth.  Any ideas out there?

Dear Jose,

I appreciate your sentiments, and I often share them. At the same time,
there are some analogies to our current state that can provide some
insight. What follows is nothing brilliant, but, here goes.

The acre of land from where I'm writing is called the Jungle Branch, and
much of it is jungle. But it was a quite different place as little as
eight years ago.

 A solid canopy of Poincianas (flamboyanes) covers about half the
property. Seven large live oaks reach between them, as do four gumbo
limbos and a handful of young Dade County pines. Brazilian pepper covers
a pile of rotting logs.

Before Hurricane Andrew, virtually none of these large trees were here.
Instead, fifty to eighty year old pines dominated, with an understory of
palmetto. Andrew killed every one of these pines. They are the rotting
logs under the Brazilian pepper.

Hurricanes have always wreaked this kind of destruction, and the forest
has always come back changed. It's true that many of the plants that have
done well after the storm are new arrivals, such as the poincianas and
the Brazilian pepper, but this is South Florida, and new arrivals have
been landing here for thousands of years. Even our venerable live oaks
are immigrants from the north, and the gumbo limbos are refugees from the
Caribbean who floated in at some point in the last few thousand years.

Yes, there are many more exotics than ever before, and yes, the rate of
change in this 'jungle' has increased exponentially. Yes, now humans, not
hurricanes, are the most potent agent of change. But the underlying
processes are the same, and the vigorous vitality of this new jungle, its
life force, is as awesome as ever.

This is the life force that my family wishes to harness, and in times of
chaos and destruction, that force seems to be even more present, as an
aid to the creation that must follow the destruction. After Hurricane
Andrew, in the midst of the wreckage that left me lost in the
neighborhood I grew up in, unable to find my way to my house only a few
blocks away, with trees totally stripped of leaves and some totally
uprooted, something incredible happened. With autumn approaching, these
trees bloomed.

Many fruited before dying the following spring, and they left seedlings
to take their place, all six months out of synch with their normal
seasons for bearing fruit. And an incredible number of trees lived, with
their roots pulled up, and grew back into object lessons in perseverance.

When I'm feeling the sentiments that Jose expressed, I think of those
trees. These are rough times, and they'll get rougher. But the One who
designed this place seems to have thought ahead in this regard. We're
planning to put the next house in our little neighborhood right where the
Brazilian pepper is, and we're planning to use the termite-proof Dade
County pine logs that are buried there for the house's beams. In other
words, we're planning to survive and even to flourish, in the midst of
the chaos.

I guess I could have made this long response to Jose a lot shorter by
just quoting that old saw: 'When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.'

Albert

www.SmallCo.net
www.PressFile.com

877 66-Small (877 667-6255)