RE: Kids at business meetings
From: Catya Belfer-Shevett (catyahomeport.org)
Date: Tue, 9 May 2000 04:51:07 -0600 (MDT)
Hello,

>       What I can't imagine is that the kids (of any minor age)
> will actually
> benefit from attending meetings. Having a special meeting here and there
> where you have something organized for the kids (like a brief, brief
> discussion of what they'd like to see in their playroom in the CH) is a
> way to include them.
>       Do the people who want the kids to attend the meetings
> actually *have*
> kids?

We're a forming group, but a number of our members are tied to the Sudbury
Valley School in Framingham, MA, which is a democratically run "unschooling"
school - one person, one vote, fromthe 4 year olds up to staff.  ALL
decisions are made in school meeting, with whomever wants to be involved
attending.  It works REALLY well for them.

So, we've carried that over into our group meetings - children of any age
that want to attend and have a voice are welcome to do so.  We have a caveat
in there that we will revisit this if it makes it difficult to get to
consensus. but so far we've only had participation from kids in things kids
are interested in, like playground ideas.  I'm really excited about being in
a group that welcomes all people to make the decisions that effect them,
though my toddler isn't likely to have too much to say in the next year or
so.

Anyway, just thought I'd throw in my two cents,

        - catya