laundry hookup blushing
From: PattyMara (PattyMaraaol.com)
Date: Fri, 12 May 2000 09:16:46 -0600 (MDT)
In a message dated 5/12/00 5:39:21 AM , vmoreland [at] mindspring.com writes:

<<  I also blush to admit that the homes were all plumbed for individual
laundry
 and most of us have put in washers and dryers.  (Though the common house
 will have some, and it will be done in a month or two.)   I'm not
 recommending that course, but some of our families do like it that way. >>

Blush not, Ginny.  At Tierra Nueva (cen. CA coast) all of our homes had to
have laundry hookups to satisfy the bank who gave us our construction loan.
I used to be part of the subgroup of members who in the name of voluntary
simplicity, waxed poetic about how we can all do our laundry in the common
house, sharing resources yadayadayada.

Now, after living here nearly two years, boy howdy I am glad that most of the
families with children installed washers and dryers in their homes.   I love
the fact that the common house laundry room is available for those of us who
don't have mountains of laundry, and can live with a 3 hour block of time
once a week.  If we all did our laundry commonly, it would be a nightmare of
logistics.

So blush not.  Laundries in individual homes will not compromise the spirit
of community and the cohousing ethic.  Honest.

coheartedly,
Patty Mara Gourley
Tierra Nueva, cen CA coast