question from a grad student
From: E. Rice (lizriceu.washington.edu)
Date: Tue, 16 May 2000 17:14:58 -0600 (MDT)
Hi,
I'm a graduate student at University of Washington School of Public
Affairs. I'm in a policy class, and a group of us are looking at issues of
housing and low-income affordability. I, in particular, am looking at
cohousing as an option for the city to get more behind in terms of
low-income housing development. I know many cohousing groups seek
diversity of all kinds, including income diversity, but I'm wondering how
well you feel it works, and how city incentives to create affordable
housing as part of the cohousing unit help or inhibit its creation. I'm
also wondering how those who are part of the cohousing movement in general
feel about the ability of cohousing to address issues of availability of
low-income housing options, especially in cities such as Seattle in which
real estate prices have increased to the point where it is difficult to
maintain affordable housing.

Hope you don't mind me posting to this email list. I would love any input
anyone has on this matter.

Thanks for your time

Liz Rice