Re: question from a grad student
From: Mark Richardson (shanirichardsonhotmail.com)
Date: Wed, 17 May 2000 00:43:36 -0600 (MDT)
You bring up some interesting points, my understanding of co-housing is that
it is not necessarily suited for "low-income" housing projects.  It is
certainly a "life style" choice.  I work with a very strong non-profit
agency that develops low income housing in Rural areas. (we work actively in
the State of Washington thru our Lacy office) and the question of co-housing
comes up in our "self-help" programs.  To my knowledge, only a project in
the Holister, California area used co-housing, and that was for agricultural
working mothers.  Our staff works closely with groups in the development and
construction of their homes, but find most folks want their own, independent
home. Some of the models we use to develop afforable housing can work in the
city, the most important piece is the cost of real estate..
I live near a city co-housing group, the South Park, in Sacramento,
California, and their units are at market or higher for similar homes in the
area, without some of the amenties the other homes have, such as garages.
If you have questions, please contact us via our web page at www.rcac.org
mahalo