|Re: Chlorine bleach rinse||<– Date –> <– Thread –>|
|From: RowenaHC (RowenaHCcs.com)|
|Date: Wed, 17 May 2000 15:14:55 -0600 (MDT)|
I'm a little disturbed to see the wholesale recommendation of chlorine use. While it probably is the least destructive paractical disinfectant its use is not harmless. A book by Joe Thornton of Columbia University's Center for Environmental Reserach, "Pandora's Poison: Chlorine, health and a New Environmental Strategy" March 2000, MIT Press, argues that chlorine and organochlorine chemicals made from it pose global health and environmental threat. Evidence exists linking low-level exposure to an increased risk of cancer, infertility, impaired child development and disrupted immune systems. It's not proven but there is enough evidence to indicate concern. Organiochlorides accumulate in the human body and are transmitted thorugh breast milk. Admittedly, most of the chlorine used is in industrial processes, not disinfection of water and sewage, but still.... Hot water, soap, and air drying are the best way to avoid infection. It is FAR more important to ban all sponges and other harborers of germs, and to make sure that individuals wash their hands (taking 10 seconds to soap up before rinsing) before touching any food items, than to mess around with chlorine dips, which don't work unless you leave stuff to soak for about 10 seconds in any case! Rowena CambridgeCoho where people don't believe this and continue to swish dishes uselessly through dilute bleach!
Results generated by Tiger Technologies Web hosting using MHonArc.