Re: Environmenal Frustration
From: Willie Schreurs (williegreyrock.org)
Date: Wed, 24 May 2000 00:12:39 -0600 (MDT)
kchung wrote:

> We need to repair the rotting deck at our new-to-us old house.  We have
> contacted building supply companies, forest certification organizations
> and Greenpeace....  But still we cannot find cedar which is guaranteed to
> not be the product of clear-cutting of old-growth forests in British
> Columbia.
>
> No eastern cedar, even for boards.
> We don't want to use chemically treated wood.
> The artificial products have a dubious environmental footprint.
>
> Any suggestions?  Does anyone know how to source environmentally friendly
> deck wood?

You might like to look at a material called Trex -- a lot of decks at Greyrock
were made with it.   It's a composite made from waste wood fibre and recycled
plastic and seems to be lasting really well (only 4-5 years so far, though).
You should be able to find info about it from local suppliers or builders, or
check out the manufacturer's web site at www.trex.com.

--

  /\                        Willie Schreurs                        /\
 //\\ <Willie [at] Greyrock.org>(H)  <schreurs [at] lamar.colostate.edu>(W) //\\