Re: Environmenal Frustration
From: Sanda Everette (severettesmcoe.k12.ca.us)
Date: Wed, 24 May 2000 17:23:33 -0600 (MDT)
Yesterday, I tried to send this message to just Katie, but it bounced
back. (I seem to be having some problems with my server??) I wasn't sure
the whole group would want to hear my feelings on the subject.

I have dealt with the dilemma of wanting to use redwood for decks,
gardening, etc. at the same time as protesting its cutting in old growth
and second growth forests.  We use recycled redwood for gardening.  I
was glad that when we ordered our hot tub, we just missed the last one
boxed in redwood and instead got articial redwood made of some kind of
plastic.  I am curious about your concern about artificial products.  It
seems to me that if we are not using products made of recycled plastic,
the end point of the recycling process, our putting our plastic bottles
in the recycling bins just gets them out of sight...We used fence posts
out of recycled in our wetland field in Washington state and assume they
will last forever.  Since you want your deck to last as long as the
house, I would think it would be a good use for "plastic wood" ...like
Trex.
I don't like using plastic for short term uses but I have come to the
conclusion
that using it as a recycled product for long term uses is a good idea.

Sanda and Brian Everette
San Mateo Cooperative Community
http://www.wordrunner.com/sanda
Toward a sustainable lifestyle:
grow some of your own food and/or know the gardener who is growing it.

--
ÐÏࡱá