Re: our wonderful archives
From: Peter Scott (psak.planet.gen.nz)
Date: Wed, 31 May 2000 12:40:12 -0600 (MDT)
> > As we all know, we have wonderful archives full of collective wisdom, plus
> > various  distillations, all linked from the national cohousing web page
> > (www.cohousing.org).

Fred, and others.

CSF deserve our thanks for what--i assume--is a  free service. However it is one
of the great tragedys in this life that the search engine at csf is so really
really hard to use.

My questions are these:
1. Why has the gopher version ceased?
2. Have the early gopher records been preserved someplace
3. How are the archives controlled, and is there cgi access to them?
4. If so are there resources to sponser a programmer to rewrite/install a better
search facility

Failing that it would be relatively simple exercise to
a) write a program to map existing csf/gopher archives to a new server; and;
b) write a program to archive all new postings directly to a new server via POP
access.

Hoping something can be done--the archives facility does not do justice to the
wisdom contained therein.

Regards,

Peter Scott

Earthsong Eco-Neighbourhood
Auckland New Zealand ph 09 8361319 / 025 6240154
Eco-homes in an Eco-Neighbourhood <http://www.cohousing.pl.net/>
EcoVillage and Cohousing Assoc of NZ <http://www.converge.org.nz/evcnz/>