Re: Common house Kids Rooms
From: Lynn Nadeau (welcomeolympus.net)
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2000 20:25:16 -0600 (MDT)
I've patched this post together from a number of other files, so bear
with me, and sift through for what might be useful notions. You'll have
to wait for another subject for one of my better-organized

At RoseWind, our Kid Room is designed, but the interior finish is not yet
in, so we don't yet know how these kids will use this room. I do however
have experience from both parenting and 8 recent years as a preschool
teacher for ages 3-6, and have designed the room, which is about 15x15,
with a lot of that experience in mind.

The main thing I fought for was a sink-- it's really super useful for
keeping kids and stuff mopped up, washing adult hands, art cleanup, snack
cleanup, etc. Cleaning out paint pots etc in the bathroom or kitchen
makes a big mess.

(We also have a contingent who think we have to make it appeal to our
couple of teenagers, and so not look too "kid" like. I am of the opinion
that if the teens want to hang out with each other, they are far more
likely to gravitate to the rec room with the pingpong table, or the
lounge with the sofa, or the kitchen, or one of their homes, than the kid
room, and when they are in the kid room, I don't think we can
realistically make it a teen clubhouse AND a little kid space. So mostly
I am still thinking of our 1-7 year olds. and their caregivers/parents.)

The layout of the room is as follows:
One entire wall is storage: a countertop runs the length of the wall and
about 15" deep. Two shelves below that for kid-access toys, books, etc.
An interior window above the counter in the center (otherwise we were
short of light in the room), and bookshelf type shelves as "uppers" on
either side of the window, for adult and older-kid access items.

Another wall has door to entry hall, near dining room entrance,  a sink,
with upper and lower cabinets, for things like art supplies, rags,
dishpans, etc. Space for trash can. Plus room for a small loft in the
corner, about 4x5 feet, creating an "under" and an "up top" area.

Wall 3 has a small sofa, and door to hall by bathrooms, near rec room
door.
Wall 4 has door to outdoors, storage alcove for folded tumbling mats, and
coat pegs for kid stuff, dressups, lost clothing, etc.

The programming I used was:
General considerations for youth room:

=AGES:
Adult with baby (place to sit to nurse, hold sleepy, sleeping child; sit
and talk w adult)
Toddler, typically supervised, but who may get away on their own (safety,
toys, books)
Preschool-Grade School child: (art supplies, books, toys; furniture,
hooks, table top, etc where child can reach and use).
Teens ( if we decide now or later that we want to make it feel like a
teen place, too)
radio-cassette-CD player of good quality, place for CDs and tapes,
teen magazines, teen POSTERS or collages etc, place in sink cupboard for
beverages? Comfy furniture to lounge on or sit on while watching video.
We could use stools instead of kiddie chairs,if we felt the need to
downplay the "kiddie" look, and so all ages could use them.
Loft for school kids and teens.
Adults - to use in "off time" or while hanging with kids, and to clean up
and supervise.

(Misc note: I own and am contributing two 5x10 ft professional blue
tumbling mats, the kind that fold zigzag and are fairly stiff. There is
an alcove behind the door to store them, folded, and sufficient floor
space to extend one or both mats (they velcro together to make a 10x10).
All the years my child was growing up, this was our living room rug and
was perfect for floor sitting, easy wipe up, romping, etc. The catch is
that to buy such mats new would cost at least $800....)

=FLEXIBILITY:Use may vary, over time, and  even at a given time, so some
items  on mobile carts (art supplies, VCR) . Lots of storage allows for
different materials to be out at different times, for different
populations or activities. (VCR cart, for space reasons, more likely to
be stored in rec room, but easy to wheel around to youth room.) Adults
might use this room for art projects.

==SAFETY: Limit  youngest children's access to things they could hurt
themselves with, damage, or make a mess. Higher shelves and cupboards can
store cleaning supplies, messy art supplies, items with small parts (to
guard against either dumping or choking),older-kid stuff. Any high
platform,
or climber, should be arranged so that a too-young child cannot reach to
use it on their own, and can't easily fall off. Window glass to be
tempered or protected. Awareness of electric cords, outlets, furniture
corners. Doors have windows in them, so you can see if a kid is in the
way of the door opening.

==Maintenance: There will be spills of food and art materials and such.
Easy cleaning. Something like a sofa can have a slipcover on it, unless
it is wipeable. Good quality vinyl / naugahyde upholstery is helpful/
Sink to wash out stuff with paint and glue, let things dry.  Set dishes,
snacks.
Floor is Marmoleum linoleum for durability and easy cleaning.

==Clean up-- by both children and adults is facilitated by having obvious
places that things belong, open-top storage for things like blocks, so
you can find a piece and just pitch it in where it belongs, hanging pegs,
 baskets, crates, etc so you can move the container to where the activity
is. Sink.

==Display. Space for posters and  artwork, so youth of all ages see it as
their own. (One could designate Teen area for them to decorate, like over
the
sofa.) Cloth-covered fiberboard is practical, and helps acoustics.

==Variety of activity types:
Quiet- can be darkened, or low light, napping, story reading. older kid
lurking, video. Medium- "busy" with art, playdough, Legos, blocks,
dressups, pretend, music toys, snacks, toy vehicles.
Active- provision for climbing, hanging, crawling, moderate tumbling.

==Comfort. Sofa and comfortable chair will attract all ages. Floor mats
good for young and teens.

OUTDOORS-
We are about to design the courtyard which is in the corner of our
L-shaped building. It is south of the dining room, so is a prime hangout
candidate for adults, but it's also opened onto from the kid room. I'm
trying to think of things that don't look outright Fisher-Price kid
style, but which invite kids to safely clamber on, balance on, perch on,
climb under, etc. Like a row of tree stumps about 6" to 18" high to walk
and sit on, rather like stair steps. Perhaps a large concrete sculpture
of an animal one could sit on or against? Sand box is fun, but has to be
able to be covered, or all the neighborhood cats will think it's for them
.

Lynn Nadeau, RoseWind Cohousing, Port Townsend WA
where a spacious custom home is just up for resale, see our website
www.olypen.com/sstowell/rosewind/