Re: Grease Traps
From: Jim Snyder-Grant (jimsgnewview.org)
Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2000 15:58:05 -0600 (MDT)
Anna asked about grease traps.

New View (Acton MA) was required by our town health department to have a
grease trap.  But, they decided early on (before any grease trap
discussions) that we were a commercial kitchen.  It hasn't been too bad: the
biggest extra expense that we wouldn't have done anyway was the HUGE &
POWERFUL hood & fan over the stove. (For example: unless we open many
windows, we can't run the hood at the same time as our fireplace is on, or
smoke from the fireplace will be sucked into the dining room intead of being
taken up the chimney.  We (and the fire department) have learned this a
couple of times by personal experience).

We got a good price on a used grease trap. We found out, though, that it was
not cleaned. This led to the possibly unwise decision that we would clean it
ourselves. The brave sole that took that on still tells stories about
disgusting cleaning it was. The next cleaning, with our own coho-flavored
grease, will be cleaned by a professional.

We have 24 households (~46 adults, ~28 kids). Potluck meals are twice per
week, prepared meals are twice a week (less in the summer), and then there
is the occaisonal party or other food-involved event.

-Jim Snyder-Grant
New View (Acton MA)