Re: design review
From: Lynn Nadeau (welcomeolympus.net)
Date: Sun, 2 Jul 2000 18:38:49 -0600 (MDT)
RoseWind Cohousing is a "lot development" model, so we have a procedure in
place for the construction of each individual home (the first part of what is
pasted below) and then some guidelines for subsequent changes (the second part,
below):

PROCESS FOR NEW HOME CONSTRUCTION:
For new home construction there are two meetings.
The first is optional, but recommended, while planning is in the early stages.
At this time the owner can meet with one or more members of the AR Committee
and be reminded of basic RW and City requirements for setbacks and such, noting
the building envelope, neighbors¹ solar access rights,  parking and driveway,
drainage,  planned fences, house height, building relationships, topography,
etc.

The second, required,  meeting is with the AR committee and any interested
RoseWind Members to review the preliminary plan.   The meeting is held at
RoseWind.

A. Two weeks before the required meeting RoseWind members are notified.  Copies
of  floor plans, a site plan showing the location of the building(s) on the lot
and relationship to location of neighbors¹ homes or building envelopes, and
exterior elevations,  are made available for viewing in Port Townsend and in
Seattle (as long as there are members living in Seattle) .  At the option of
the member,  copies can also be sent to each member or brought to the monthly
meeting for preview by the group at breaks. The owner is recommended to confer
specifically with near neighbors about concerns or questions they may have.

B. The lot corners are staked.  The building envelope is staked.  The outline
of the
building is staked and flagged and it is connected with tape if possible or
lines
painted on the ground so it is easy to see where the building will actually be.

C. The AR meeting is held, and the following is checked:
        1)  Reminder that propane tanks have setback requirements.
        2)  On-site parking plan
        3)  Make sure lot lines and building envelope are correctly understood.
Hear any requests for setback changes, and determine if we can support the
request to the City.
        4) Fences, if any

        5) Impact on neighbors--driveways, house height,  relationship of house
placement to neighbors,  neighbors¹ solar access

        6) Construction matters--where construction dirt and materials will be
stockpiled, construction vehicle access, any sensitive areas to protect
(plants, sewer lines, etc) .   If the commons or a neighbor¹s  property is
requested for use during construction, a plan is agreed upon, usually including
an agreement to  restore such ³borrowed² land to its original or better
condition. The owners are reminded of their responsibilities for keeping
contractors aware of relevant agreements and rules.

D. At this meeting there is an opportunity to hear from any interested RoseWind
members, regarding the above, and/ or other matters such as floor plans and
building materials. These are personal perspectives and informational or
advisory only.

E. The AR is approved, or if there are matters which need follow-up action, or
additional information, arrangements are made to accomplish what is necessary,
prior to approval being finalized.

FOR OTHER CONSTRUCTION OR SIGNIFICANT CHANGES:
A.  Talk to your immediate neighbors and get their approval.
B.  Then contact a member of the Committee.   Inform them of the change you wish
to make and your time line.  Drawings, plans and/or descriptions are useful and
may be requested.  If a meeting is deemed appropriate, a committee member can
help arrange a mutually agreeable time and place.  Immediate neighbors will
always be notified and depending on the impact, all members may be notified at
the committee's discretion.
C.  Simple changes may be handled informally.

--------------
Notice that there is very little required for subsequent changes. If I wanted
to paint my house pink, it would be nice of me to check out the reactions of
neighbors who would have to look at it every day, but they don't have the power
to tell  me I absolutely can't. One woman installed a fairly dense wooden
"privacy" fence around her yard, which is right on a busy street. It was fine
with her only close neighbors, so that was that. Another woman built a
garage-type storage building on her property, and posted plans in advance,
asking for any input. No one would even think of having to get some sort of
permission to change something like windows. The bottom line could be seen as:
Does this take anything from someone else, like their sun or view or right to
pass through? Otherwise, it's pretty much an individual matter.
Lynn at RoseWind, Port Townsend WA
where the common house is progressing on interior finishing, a beautiful big
custom home is up for resale, and lots of people are away on vacations. Web
site: www.olypen.com/sstowell/rosewind