Re: co-hou-du-sac?
From: Mark Richardson (shanirichardsonhotmail.com)
Date: Sun, 9 Jul 2000 16:35:28 -0600 (MDT)
Todd and Betsy in Texas,,

My wife and I have had similar discussions regarding building a "whole"
community, and the use of existing/new neighborhoods to create that.  I work
with a non-profit organization that has produced many "neighborhoods" on the
self-help building principal.  Under private and federal programs, a group
of folks, 10-20 families will work together to build their homes (the
non-skilled portion, anyway)  This often takes over a year or two, and the
families have developed bonds that continue after they move in.  I'm sure
this approach happens in Texas also, but the government program is for
low-moderte income folks only.

An ongoing example of taking a "normal" neighborhood street and twisting it
into something like co-housing is the "N" Street project in Davis,
California.  It started with buying one house, now, almost all of the homes
on the street (2 streets) are operated as a co-housing group, and even some
homes across the street and near by are part of the group.

Most of the back yard fences have been taken down, and the yards are common
space, to a point.  One house serves as the common house.  This was a
moderate/poor section of Davis (tho nothing is really poor in Davis) and has
evolved over the years.

for more information on self-help housing, you can check our web page at
www.rcac.org.  I believe the N street co-house have a web page also.

mahalo
mark in Calif.