RE: co-hou-du-sac?
From: Rob Sandelin (floriferousmsn.com)
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2000 08:51:08 -0600 (MDT)
As was expressed once in a thread about Habitat for humanity, building
community requires a bunch more commitment than just doing a bunch of homes.
A likely to succeed approach might be to form a viable community group
first, say 7-8 home buying potential families, then buy out a neighborhood
or a development under way. I have seen a few attempts at this fail because
critical mass of community minded people was never acheived. (Most community
forming attempts fail by the way, so don't get discouraged, keep at it. I
know one well placed community person who tried 6 times before it finally
stuck.)

I have also seen people go home where they live, and create more community
buy becoming community catylst types, starting neighborhood pancake
breakfasts, kid  clubs, dinner clubs, tool sharing  and such right admist
their own current suburbia reality. That is the approach of the Neighbor
nets of Seattle and it seems to be doing very well.

There is a set of skills and attitudes that are helpful to form a community
of people and so be sure to investigate these as you go. The Intentional
Communities Resource pages has some ideas to help out.
www.infoteam.com/nonprofit/nica/resource.html

Rob Sandelin
Community Works!