"Like Minded People"
From: Sharon Villines (sharonvillinesprodigy.net)
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2000 12:52:22 -0600 (MDT)
I often see the phrase "like-minded people" used in connection with
cohousing.

In the 1950s and 1960s (I don't remember before that) this phrase was used
as code for "white like us and keeping it that way".

"She's like-minded" meant someone we can trust not to sneak any of "those"
people into our club or neighborhood or whatever.

Whenever I see the phrase it is like a knife. An alert to beware attack, It
sends chills up and down my spine.

I know this phrase doesn't have the same meaning to everyone, and certainly
coho people don't mean it this way (the opposite, in fact) but does this
phrase have this meaning for anyone else? Or only those of us who were in or
near the Deep South during those times and learned to understand the
double-speak of "polite" conservatives.

Sharon.