email "appliances"
From: Lynn Nadeau (welcomeolympus.net)
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2000 09:48:38 -0600 (MDT)
Of our 24 households, all but about 6 have computers and email. Those 6
are people who typically do not want to deal with computers, whether
because of expense, space, or techno-phobia.

Yesterday I saw a newly-marketed little machine that might solve that for
some or all of them. Called MailStation, it is the size of a small
answering machine, has a keyboard, and a display screen that is about 4"
by 8". It does email, but not Internet. The screen was very legible.
Machine costs about $100, and the company's email service is $10 a month.
Use it from anywhere there's a phone jack. No additional dial-up charges.
Has a hookup for a printer if you want. The owner was very pleased with
it. I took down the number 1-800-383-2523; I would expect they have a
website also.

Oh, and apparently it accomodates multiple users.

Does anyone have experience with this or similar "appliances"? It seems a
great alternative to spending a thousand dollars on a computer, plus
Internet fees. A hundred bucks, almost no space, almost no techno-savvy
needed.

Lynn Nadeau
RoseWind Cohousing www.olypen.com/sstowell/rosewind/
Port Townsend WA
Two resale possibilities: a small cottage, and large custom house.
($130K; $339K)