Re: Cohousing Fun & Games!
From: RowenaHC (RowenaHCcs.com)
Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2000 06:19:23 -0600 (MDT)
Well, in winter we have Fridays by the Fire, after dinner in the common house
living room, where people bring games they want to play or just come and hang
out.
We've also organized evenings where our resident writers and poets read from
their work and talk about it, or have someone who has been doing something
really exciting bring their slides and show them - e.g. studying tree
kangaroos in Fiji,  working on restoration projects in Indonesia.  We've also
had contra dances and swing dancing sessions in the dining room.   We had a
glorious No-Talent Show last summer.  One of our resident poets got in touch
with a group of published local poets and we've had a series of poetry
readings which will probably resume in the autumn.  We've also had recitals
featuring residents who sing or their friends and students who sing and play.

Some or us get together for camping trips, or just for outings - by boat to
the Harbor Islands, by train to the Lincoln woods.  A few of us go bird
watching together during the migrations.  Small groups also have joint
tickets to the local rep theatre and other series.  We have someone come in
to teach watercolor painting one evening a week.  When our foundations were
being dug we hit clay (we are built on a former clay pit). One of our
resident artists saved a pile, and we have recently been getting together to
transform it into glazed tiles for a mural somewhere.   We have a ping pong
table and pool table in the rec room which are used regularly.

Without even getting into informal activities the various festival
activities, celebrations and stuff (Halloween is a big deal around here!),
there is plenty to keep us busy and having fun.  We have a small committee
call Events, which has a small budget and whose function is to dream up group
activities.  It's one of our most successful committees!   Just don't try and
get everyone doing the same thing at the same time.

On the other hand, we are not too good at other committee stuff and getting
the work done.

RowenaHC at
Cambridge Cohousing