Like Minded People Kudos for Kay
From: DCS (cdmemployees.org)
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2000 22:41:38 -0600 (MDT)
Thank you, Thank you, Thank you for so articulately stating what I
struggled with for days, a way to respond to the e-mail calling into
question "like minded people" as a code word for white, southern biggot.

I am reminded of my grandmother who refused to stop using the word "gay"
to mean "happy", long after the word was being used by the culture at
large to mean homosexual. Usually only teenagers would snigger when she
used it to describe what a great time we had. She felt strongly that the
word would have whatever meaning she gave it in context, and that a
person would know when she meant happy and when she meant homosexual.

I'm not sure Sharon(?) meant to censor the use of "like-minded people",
or if she just wanted to see if anybody else's take on the word
resembled her own. But I am reminded of the minor flame war a year or so
ago on Cohousing-L about the person who objected to the use of the word
"cockroach" in a metaphor describing thieves who kept returning to the
CH to steal electronics. I wish we would all just remember to assume the
best possible intent on the part of others, try to tune into what the
message is, and not worry so much about regulating each other's speech.

Christine Della Maggiora
Eno Commons Cohousing
Durham NC