Re: Would a cohousing/guest ranch make sense?
From: Jim Snyder-Grant (jimsgnewview.org)
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2000 16:44:49 -0600 (MDT)
In one of my previous experiences with community, I helped run a conference
center business that employed a good percentage of us community residents.
It was an income-sharing community rather than a cohousing group, however.
The business was "Another Place Conference Center" in Greenville NH.  There
was also a nice synergy whenever a conference had 'community' as part of the
topic: we were a living example & could share our experiences. Most of us
were comfy with working wth groups of people, or got that way quick. It was
also nice for us residents to have many interactions with 'outsiders' to
help prevent the in-group isolation that can happen in rural community. One
thing we could od that probably wouldn't work in coho: during the biggest
conferences, we would all move out to various tent-like things in the woods,
and attendees would get the indoor beds.  This made the economics easier.

-Jim Snyder-Grant, now part of New View cohousing in Acton MA.