Firearms
From: Richard L. Kohlhaas (rlkohlearthlink.net)
Date: Sun, 30 Jul 2000 09:52:30 -0600 (MDT)
Early in our process of community definition, we consensed on some Values and
Bylaws
including the following:

    Weapons are barred from common areas, and
    Firecrackers, explosives and ammunition are barred from the property.

Now we are faced with the situation of a family joining the community, one of
whom is a Federal
law enforcement officer who is required by his job to maintain a handgun and
ammunition.  We
are struggling with either making an exception for this family or changing the
bylaw.

Has any other cohousing community faced a similar situation?

What rules do other cohousing communities have on firearms and ammunition?

Dick Kohlhaas <rlkohl [at] earthlink.net>
Colorado Springs (Colorado) Cohousing Community
(Currently 18 intending owner families; we have an option
on a 4.7 acre property 1.5 miles from downtown, where we
plan to build 30 to 34 units. We have engaged an architect,
started the rezoning process, and plan construction start
in April 2001.)