Moving-In Transition
From: Becky Schaller (bschallertheriver.com)
Date: Tue, 1 Aug 2000 09:20:34 -0600 (MDT)
Our community (Sonora Cohousing in Tucson, Arizona) is in the process of
people moving in.  About three families  have moved in to their homes.
Thirty-three families to go.  My question is, How can we support community
during this time of transition?

We are working with Jim Leach and Wonderland Development.

We really don't know how long it will be until the last family is moved in
or how long it will be until the common house is completed.  Estimates for
closing dates don't seem to last very long.   My best guess is that the
common house won't be completed until January.  That makes it difficult to
have very many social events here because our site is still a construciton
area.  What we do know is that we seem to continue to have delays.  I guess
that's not uncommon.

Right now, we have people at all different stages.  Some people sold their
house six months ago or a year ago and moved into croweded temporary housing
figuring they would be moving two months ago.  Many families have to move
now since that is what they had planned to do months ago and there is no
house for them to move into.  Some people have difficulty celebrating the
fact that others have been able to move in because they are in a situation
where waiting to move is very difficult.  There is some level of tension
about different construction issues.   Of course, the act of  moving carries
with it a certain amount of stress and a lot of people are having to move
twice.

Other people have just recently arrived from out of state and are in the
process of settling into their new house.  They are focusing on getting to
know people and are providing the community with  a lot of refreshing
energy.

We've figured out that we need to be having social events, so I think we are
going to be doing something weekly or at least very regularly.

Any ideas about how to build community at this time would be appreciated.

Becky Schaller
Sonora Cohousing
Tucson, AZ
Only two more houses to sell !!!