Re: Non Participating Households
From: Judy Baxter (BAXTERepi.umn.edu)
Date: Tue, 1 Aug 2000 10:46:51 -0600 (MDT)
Zev WRote:
<In our community there is a one-person household who formally withdrew
their involvement from the community this past weekend. In reality they
have not participated in a positive way for some time.>

Zev, I guess my question is - have you talked to them about their intentions?
I wonder, if they are announcing non-participation, are they planning to move.
In our case (and we are small too, so I know what you mean) the three
households (2 single adults and one family with 2 children) who have moved out
since we started have all stopped or reduced their participation without any
formal announcment, and then announced that they were putting their homes up
for sale.

We have not been willing to set up a system of "work tracking" that
would allow us to charge for non participation, for many reasons, and I won't
get into that now.

But if they have formally  withdrawn, maybe you could do that.  I don't
remember enough about your community to imagine how they would want to stay
long term, but maybe they can be very separate.

I'm wondering if communication has broken down, and maybe some outside help
could be brought in to facilitate/mediate.

Judy

-- e-mail:      baxter [at] epi.umn.edu
15 homes - 7 new townhomes plus
        8 coop apartments       in the Mansion (a rehab Georgian building)
(built as a retirement home in 1924 -) which also serves as our Common House
coops moved in 1993, townhomes in 1996
One 3 BR  townhome for sale - see our web page
 web page: http://www.jimn.org/mococo/