Re: Cohousing/Guest Ranch
From: Judy Baxter (BAXTERepi.umn.edu)
Date: Tue, 1 Aug 2000 13:42:42 -0600 (MDT)
I agree with those (can't remember who) who say, why not?  I'm all for
cohousing plain vanilla, cohousing with x, cohousing with y, etc.

I think if the key, defining elements are there, it's cohousing.  I confess to
some trepidation about how to *do* running a business together, and I suspect
that (depending on the requirements for member participation) it would filter
some folks out, . . . on the other hand, it might also filter others in.

Actually, we already run a business together, i.e. common spaces, etc, it just
doesn't generate a lot of income - but we have to cover our costs.

That said, I would also say that I see cohousing at the individualistic end of
the continuum of intentional communities  (self-sufficient private homes).  So
why not have hybrids that might move us along the continuum?

Judy

-- e-mail:      baxter [at] epi.umn.edu
15 homes - 7 new townhomes plus
        8 coop apartments       in the Mansion (a rehab Georgian building)
(built as a retirement home in 1924 -) which also serves as our Common House
coops moved in 1993, townhomes in 1996
One 3 BR  townhome for sale - see our web page
 web page: http://www.jimn.org/mococo/