It's fun, easy and rewarding
From: Joani Blank (joaniswansway.com)
Date: Tue, 1 Aug 2000 18:57:21 -0600 (MDT)
Friends,

Since our last North American conference in Amherst last fall, seven of you
have taken advantage of an opportunity to serve the cohousing "movement"
and, by all reports have had fun doing it.  What they have done, and what
you may now volunteer for is collecting messages from the Network's
voicemail twice a week for one month, and responding to the those phone
messages

Before I describe this opportunity further, let me quote from a note from
Ann Griffin a resident of Nyland CoHousing in Colorado who "staffed" the
phones in May and who has volunteered to do it again in August.

"I so enjoy the closeness of my neighbors in coho,
the babies slung over dad's or mom's chest walking in twos or threes down
the pedway, watching f rollicking cats and petting them whenever I wish
without owning one, live music, slide shows, sharing good food and now an
art class I'll attend here with 6 kids!  Life here fills in many rich
spaces for me.  It's the ability to be close and to have distance on
beautiful land that nourishes me...

And so to get to talk with people from Washington, California, Florida,
Mississippi, New York, Michigan and Georgia networking to help them get to
a kind of living that turns them on is joyful to me.  Life is too short to
miss ANY "turn ons", especially when it is about connecting to one another
and to community.

The most often asked question was from Californians who want to know where
the closest coho is to them.  A man in Port Townsend, WA, wants to find
people to start coho there.  A woman is interested in converting her
apartment building into coho, and a group of women who bought land together
now realize they need support in group processing for a possible coho...."

So the month of August is covered, but that the volunteer calendar is bare!
 I hope some of you out there will be chomping at the bit to help out in
this way.  Here are some of the parameters:

Time:  This' ll take you as few as 2 or as many as 4 hours spread out over
the month, depending on how much you like to chat about cohousing.

Pay: None, but the cost of your long distance phone calls will be fully
reimbursed by The Cohousing Network.

Support: You will receive a detailed instruction sheet, and may call me
anytime for backup or help. I will also talk with you by phone before you
begin your month to answer any questions you may have.

Please respond to me individually " (joani [at] swansway.com) and NOT TO THE
LIST (Or by phone at 510-834-7399).  So DO NOT hit that REPLY button.  In
your response, please tell me why you think you'd be a good person for this
volunteer position, and let me know which month(s) (starting in September)
you would be available for.  It's fine to state a preference, but the more
flexibility you have the better, and the easier it will be for me to juggle
things around to assure adequate phone coverage.

Second only to the website, this Network voicemail is a very important
interface between cohousing and the rest of the world, so this request is
worthy of your most serious consideration.

Thank you.

Joani Blank
Old Oakland Cohousing
joani [at] swansway.com