Work credits
From: Odysseus Levy (olevycosmosgame.com)
Date: Thu, 3 Aug 2000 12:11:29 -0600 (MDT)
Oops.  I don't think I made it clear why I posted this message (a title
might have helped too!)

There has been an interesting thread going on about community work
requirements.  The issue that came up was whether it made sense to charge
people who weren't doing enough work. This is quite controversial, and for
good reason. That is where my post comes in -- what about using another
monetary system (aka "LETS")?  I think that might elegantly solve the
problem.

And again, yes, this is not a new idea.  The great news is that there are a
number of groups that are sucessfully doing something like this already --
two posters have already given some great links for people who want to learn
more about this kind of system.

But my question is not whether systems like this work (we already know that
they do), my question is does this kind of system make sense for cohousing?
And specifically, what about my idea of charging members a monthly work
credit?

To be honest, I'm working up the courage to propose this kind of system to
my own cohousing group.  I've talked to some members already, and they
seemed enthusiastic, but I wanted to see what thoughts and ideas people on
this list might have about the idea.