RE: Could I ask about dogs in your community?
From: Rob Sandelin (floriferousmsn.com)
Date: Sat, 12 Aug 2000 11:09:56 -0600 (MDT)
It might be useful, as a preamble to your discussion to ask the question:
Why have any rules about pets at all?  This will generate some conceptual
goals, such as Pets should not unduly annoy others, cause damage, hurt
people, kill and drive away wildlife. From the concepts of "Why have rules
about pets" it will be a bit easier to get agreement on specific controls,
if any, that meet the conceptual goals. This kind of hot topic is a good
place to go carefully, start slowly, don't be in any huge hurry, let people
talk and listen well. Start from goals you can all support down to specifics
that support the goals. It also seems to have a lot of parts, are all these
necessary at this time? Maybe start with 3 main issues, than add others
later?

Our Pet Policy at Sharingwood is pretty restrictive, and yes, people have
come through here and chosen not to live here due to the pet policy. So for
us, as a greenbelt steward community, this is actually a good thing, since
our goals for restricting pets, especially cats is to preserve and protect
the abundant wildlife. Your goals may be different and your agreements
should reflect your goals. (Our pet policy, which has stood since 1991 is
being rediscussed for the first time next week, and it will be an
interesting mixture of long time residents and new comer opinions)

Also the agreement below reads to me like it was written by a lawyer. I
would suggest you Humanize the language so its not so formalistic. Maybe
include a goal statement at the top. The agreements that you make amoung
yourselves, that guide how you want to live together should reflect the
spririt of your group.  Remember as you move in you are moving away from
building legal things and structures and building relationships between each
other. Let your meetings and agreements reflect the kind of relationship
building you want to have. It may take awhile for your relationships with
pets to clearly emerge and so be willing to examine how pets effect your
relationships and how you live together at some future time as well, to see
if in fact, all the issues are real, or just unrealized fears being
projected. Culture can transmit actions  and values  much better than
written legal agreements. For example, our pet policy does not say a word
about poop clean up. However, when people walk their dogs, they carry
little plastic bags and use those to clean up after their dogs. Nobody every
said the dog owners HAVE to  do this, they do it as a common community
courtesy, they understand that nobody wants a bunch of poop around and so,
without any rule at all, take care of the issue. This sort of culture builds
from comments at meetings, over dinner, converstations and reactions which
form the web of relationship.

So perhaps, once you have a disuccsion about some aspects of this, you only
need to formally agree to those things not obviously reinforced by the
community culure. Then if the culture fails, you can make the agreements you
need.

Rob Sandelin
Community works!, group process training for social change non-profit groups