Re: Emotionality of Great Facilitation
From: Hans Tilstra (hanstilstrarabbit.com.au)
Date: Sun, 3 Sep 2000 20:50:24 -0600 (MDT)
Yes, I also encountered what seemed to be a more effective way of helping
others, and noticed that many of these very impressive facilitators draw on
various approaches to psychotherapy.
1. therapy means assisting, not necessarily with clinical overtones.
2. Psychotherapy is not what you think (see
http://www.psychotherapistresources.com )

Psychotherapy is a field that is remarkeably misrepresented in the media
(eg. Oprah's four steps of xyz illustrated in twenty minutes) and, as a
largely unregistered field, remarkeably diverse in its branding. In the
market place, psychotherapeutically working facilitators focus on
distinguishing themselves from their colleagues. At its worst, one attends a
powerful weekend,   read a book, and voila, a new "emotionally intelligent"
facilitator is born again.

My personal favourite metaskill is under the heading of gestalt, a complex
group of metatheories with strong humanistic undercurrents. To get a taste
for some of the topics, http://www.g-g.org introduces the reader to
implications of (for example) phenomenological methods, a paradoxical theory
of change, a field perspective, self awareness (ie of transference),
dialogic relating. That's just an intro to the rational side, then there's
an important process of chewing this over affectively. Nothing worse than
getting some elements of it.

Powerful stuff, very worthy of learning, best chewed over through a weekend
workshop. Then, some of the reading makes more sense. However, for aspiring
facilitators, a couple of years of immersion is the ethical thing to do, to
say the least.

Hans

(about to complete my graduate diploma in gestalt therapy)