RE: Scaling down
From: lpoley (lpoleyvt.edu)
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2000 09:25:35 -0600 (MDT)
        I have looked at both "Not so Big House"  books - and love the ideas
presented.  Quality over quantity seems like such an obvious improvement
over more standard building trends and it is certainly a powerful idea for
cohousing, however a big question we have in our group (who are now trying
to make decisions about the type of housing we want to build) is: if we pour
more money into high quality building and green building elements, how will
those things be factored into the appraisal value of our homes (and
therefore the amount banks are willing to lend us .)?   We have been warned
that the appraisal formulas are generally anything BUT progressive and that
it is difficult getting appraisal value for implementing green building
elements or simply construction strategies that reflect a more sustainable,
higher quality home.  (Unless these elements are obvious to the naked eye -
ie - marble countertops in the bathroom etc. ) Flat out finished square
footage seems to be the biggest determinant of how a house is appraised and
it seems that if you spend an extra few thousand dollars to use sustainably
harvested lumber, for example - that is not likely to show up at all in your
appraisal.
        Talk about a screwed up incentive system....

        I am curious about the  experiences of other groups in terms of
working with the appraisal process  and whether they were able to get the
value of these qualities recognized. Does anyone have an experience they
want to share?
        I am aware of the existence of "energy efficient loan programs" that
many banks subscribe to (I think in collaboration with either the EPA or the
DOE)  but a local builder here who worked to qualify indicated that, at
least locally, it makes for a whole lot of extra paperwork and red tape.
        Has anyone taken advantage of one of these loan programs and had a
good experience? (Or a bad one?)

          Thanks much  -

               Lisa Poley
                   Shadowlake Village