RE: No to dinner music
From: Rowenahc (rowenahccs.com)
Date: Fri, 8 Dec 2000 16:41:27 -0700 (MST)
It is very hard to get the noise down to a manageable level in a common
dining room where you have a community of any size.  The idea of adding
music makes my hair stand on end!
We do have quite a bit of live music in our common house - - recitals,
singalongs, concerts and dances often happen in either the living room
(where we have a wonderful grand piano) or the cleared dining room (where we
have a portable stage).  But NOT while we are eating.   In fact, I have seen
residents ask people not to play the piano in the living room when we are
having a meal in the dining room so that we can have conversations.  Of
course, we regularly have about 40 people at a meal - small communities may
not have such a problem.

Rowenahc
CambridgeCohousing

the planning stages) is to have *live* music as often as possible
during common meals.  I love the idea of soft classical or jazz or
folk music playing while I eat dinner, and I also love the idea of
giving the musicians in the community a regular opportunity to perform
for an audience (even if it is "musical wallpaper").  I definitely
feel that the musician(s) should be located at one end or corner of
the dining room, so that those who want to listen can sit closer, and
those who don't can sit farther away.  And no amplification, of course.

How do others feel about this?

-- Ed, Northern Vermont Cohousing

| Ed Stauff, principal software eng.  | I don't speak | "Specialization  |
| Avid Technology, Tewksbury MA, USA  | for Avid, nor | is for insects." |
| "ed_stauff#@#avid.com" (remove #'s) | vice versa.   | -- Lazarus Long  |