RE: Changing condo docs, etc.
From: Rowenahc (rowenahccs.com)
Date: Fri, 8 Dec 2000 17:00:43 -0700 (MST)
Somehow I missed the original post, but since I am a lawyer I thought I
would butt in anyway.

Most states have two levels of documentation for a condominium association.
One is the Deed and the other may be called Bylaws or have some other name
(CCs?).  There are also Rules and Regulations.   In general, the R&Rs do not
have to be filed in the registry but are referred to in the Deed and Bylaws
which are filed in the Registry.  Because they are not filed, changing rules
and regs is not a very big deal.  Changing a Bylaw is a nuisance because  it
involves a new filing; changing a deed is a Big Deal because also it
requires involving all the lenders.

Now, there is no reason why the original documents cannot be written to
accomodate cohousing principles - for instance consensus and right of first
refusal on sale - provided that you also provide for a fall-back to
majority vote.  The banks are really only interested in stuff that may
impact the financial viability of the association.  If your lawyer won't
accomodate you - find a new one!  I put our documents up on the Cambridge
Cohousing web-site as a starting place for others.

Keep the smaller stuff - e.g. pets, allowable uses, rentals and parking -
out of the formal documents.  If you want rules, make them Rules and Regs
which can be modified by the usual coho process.  Most states require that
there be some kind of Design Review for physical changes, so you will have
to include that requirement.  But how you actually implement it is up to
you.

Finally, as others have pointed out, the formal requirements only become
significant if someone challenges how things are being done.  As long as
people feel heard and their issues are dealt with you don't need to get too
concerned with formal procedures except where MONEY is concerned!  Gotta
keep the bankers happy - which means, at a minimum, proper accounting
procedures and a capital account for repairs and maintenance.  However, it
is always a good idea to have some people around who are familiar with the
filed documents and can spot those areas where there is some formality which
should be observed!

Rowenahc
Cambridge Cohousing