dining room design (was Re: no to dinner music)
From: Ed_Stauff (Ed_Stauffavid.com)
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2000 08:12:13 -0700 (MST)

It's been interesting to read the varied responses to the issue of
music during common meals.  Ultimately, this will be something we'll
have to work out for ourselves in our own community -- and probably
change our minds once or twice along the way.  :-)

I got to thinking about Michael Donovan's remark about background
music in restaurants, many of which seat many more people than many
coho dining rooms.  What's different about the restaurants?  For one
thing, and I think this may be the most important difference, most
larger restaurants don't consist of one big room full of tables.
Most of them (including, IMHO, the better ones) have a variety of
rooms and spaces divided by walls and other architectural elements.
This produces both the feeling of more intimate spaces, and cuts
down on noise transmission between areas.

Have any coho dining areas been designed along these lines; that is,
separated into smaller adjoining spaces to control noise and increase
intimacy?  I'd think it could be done effectively without losing the
sense of being part of a larger community, perhaps through partial
walls, varied ceiling heights, long, narrow, waist-high planters,
etc., etc.

Yours in Community,

-- Ed, Northern Vermont Cohousing

| Ed Stauff, principal software eng.  | I don't speak | "Specialization  |
| Avid Technology, Tewksbury MA, USA  | for Avid, nor | is for insects." |
| "ed_stauff#@#avid.com" (remove #'s) | vice versa.   | -- Lazarus Long  |