Help Yourself and Help Cohousing
From: Zev Paiss (zpaissearthlink.net)
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2000 09:57:29 -0700 (MST)
December, 2000

Dear Friend of Cohousing:

Just 10 years ago, almost no one in the U.S. had even heard of
cohousing.  But since then, thanks in large part to your support,
cohousing has made a noticeable impact across North America.

Did you know that ...

? By the end of this year there will be over 3,000 people living in
1,700 homes in 54 cohousing communities throughout North America.

? Over 850 children are being raised in the supportive environment of
their cohousing neighborhoods.

? Strong resale values of cohousing homes support the claim that this
option is increasingly valued by banks, appraisers and their future
residents.

? Cohousing communities have received local, state and national awards
for innovative design, energy efficiency and affordable housing options
from HUD and EPA.

? Cohousing has consistently been favorably covered by the national
press in such outlets as The New York Times, USA Today, NBC Dateline,
CNN and ABC-TV?s ?Good Morning America.?

And to think this is just the beginning!

The goal of The Cohousing Network is to be there every step of the way,
offering guidance and support to individuals, couples and families
looking to connect with or start a cohousing group; groups needing help
as they navigate the complex path of development; completed communities
needing help to deepen the connections with their friends and neighbors,
and the growing number of professionals who are providing invaluable
assistance in shortening the time required to bring communities to
completion on time and within budget.

As The Cohousing Network?s Executive Director, I am very pleased with
our accomplishments over the past year.  This includes the development
of our newly created grants program, development and expansion of our
growing web site, establishment of an annual seminar for cohousing
professionals, support of the northwest and midcontinent regional
conferences, introduction of the Network News, and publication of a
compendium of completed communities through out North America.

Now is the time to help us propel our movement forward even faster.

Even with all these successes, much help is still needed. If every
person reading this letter gives a contribution of at least $20, we will
raise over $10,000 which would significantly impact our 2001 budget.
Your end of year tax deductible gift will make a big difference.

In the coming year, we plan to ...

? Start documenting the significant social and environmental benefits of
living in a cohousing community.

? Provide grants to assist both new groups and complete communities with
group process and conflict management training.

? Build partnerships with existing organizations who focus on the
creation of affordable housing.

? Create special areas on our web site for individual, group and
professional members.

? Produce the 2001 North  American Cohousing Conference in Berkeley, CA
July 20-22, 2001.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank our dedicated volunteer
Board of Trustees and recently hired staff who have helped to make The
Cohousing Network the most valuable source of information for
individuals and groups wishing to create cohousing neighborhoods.

Thank you again for your ongoing support and commitment to cohousing. We
wish you a very happy and healthy holiday season.

Donations can be mailed to our Colorado office at:

The Cohousing Network
1460 Quince Ave. #102
Boulder  CO  80304

or you may pay by VISA or MC and call us at 303-413-9227.

Sincerely,

Zev Paiss
Executive Director