Re: dining room design (was Re: no to dinner music)
From: Sharon Villines (sharonvillinesprodigy.net)
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2000 10:16:40 -0700 (MST)
> I got to thinking about Michael Donovan's remark about background
> music in restaurants, many of which seat many more people than many
> coho dining rooms.  What's different about the restaurants?

Music in restaurants is _intended_ to cut down on transmission of
conversations between tables. People cannot hear very far.

The reason I would go to a common mean would be to talk to people. Otherwise
I would fill my lunch box and take it back to my unit. Thus I do not want
music. I also don't go to restaurants that have live music and rarely go to
ones with recorded music. And I often ask that it be turned down so I can
talk to whomever I'm with or read in peace.

Sharon Villines
In Washington, DC where all roads lead to Casablanca
Takoma Village Cohousing
http://www.takomavillage.org
http://www.cohousing.org